Help organisations become more effective
In the Strategy track, you will learn about the strategic issues that businesses face. How does dealing with competitors and navigating the business environment determine success or failure in business? Why do some firms outperform others? When does organisational design contribute to value-creation?
Learn to find the answers by interacting with professors who are at the forefront of research on strategy. Apply theory to real-world cases that involve the implementation of strategies and the design of effective and flexible organisations.
'What value is there in studying strategy? How are we going to help you not only learn about strategy, but also learn how to formulate strategies that work and lead to success?' Learn more about the programme in this track video.
Why choose the Strategy track?
- The strategy track balances practice and theory. You will learn about different theories and models while also getting plenty of time to go hands on and put theory into practice.
- What you learn in the strategy track can be easily transferred and adapted to just about any future career or job position imaginable because we focus on teaching students how to think critically, solve problems in innovative ways, and manage their time. Being able to think critically and make quick decisions under pressure will serve you well in every possible career.
- The track offers you a challenge, but in the best way possible. Students that make it through the Strategy track emerge as more logical and critical thinkers and, importantly, possesses the knowledge needed to take on any career-related challenges that come their way.
Hi, I'm Nazlı! I'm a Master’s student in Business Administration from Turkey. Got questions about studying at the UvA? Get in touch!Chat with Nazlı
Apart from the general courses of the full programme, you will follow 3 track-specific courses.
Theories of Strategy
Get familiar with fundamental theories of strategy and dive into the nature of inter-firm competition. Where should companies compete, and how? And perhaps most importantly: how do firms achieve and sustain a competitive advantage?
Corporate Strategy and Organisational Design
Learn about the different ways in which diversified firms can be efficient and effective. This course covers how firms can achieve their goals through cooperation with stakeholders and discusses the ethical implications of corporate decisions.
The Adaptive Organisation
Learn about how firms deal with change, especially in their business environment. The course emphasises innovation as crucial in dealing with change and being capable to survive and thrive within a dynamic business environment.
EasyGroup, EasyJet’s parent company, has to decide whether to enter the cinema market or not. What would you advise them? Does it make sense for EasyGroup to start running a cinema chain? Do EasyGroup’s resources apply to the cinema market? This is the type of real-world strategic decisions that managers have to deal with.
Examples of current newspaper headlines and relevant issues that could be discussed in the classroom:
- Johnson & Johnson has purchased a surgical robotics unit. Will this diversification into medical equipment be successful, given that diversification often fails? Will Johnson & Johnson be more innovative as a result of this purchase?
- Brexit: What effect does uncertainty in the business environment have on strategy? What choices do firms have in dealing with uncertainty? And how can firms best navigate this type of change?
The theories we learn are challenging and give a multidimensional perspective on organisations. What I like in particular are the real-life business cases, which we work on in collaboration with well-known multinationals.Roeland van Noort, track Strategy Read about Roeland's experiences with this Master's
Graduates of the Master's in Business Administration/Strategy track have excellent job prospects for positions in a wide variety of Dutch and multinational companies, for example as:
- project leaders
Diana Pantaia: 'As students, we are given all the tools to make the most out of this Master's. It starts with choosing your track and customising it with courses of your interest. Also, we get to listen to top business minds from all kinds of industries.'