You can request STAP Budget for this programme.
What will you learn?
To effectively navigate across cultural boundaries, it is important to explore how our differences have come to be in the first place, why they matter, and how we can adapt our behaviours to accommodate the rich space of cultural diversity. The need to develop and strengthen our cross-cultural (leadership) skills in order to manage teams effectively and to work together in a constructive way within a team, has become pivotal for our professional success. This masterclass offers a unique inquiry into how our cultures seep into the deepest structures of our lives.
During this masterclass, you will:
- gain an understanding of the influence of culture on the mind.
- develop self-awareness of your own cultural conditioning.
- explore psychology (emotions, cognition and behaviour) from a cultural lens.
- develop cross-cultural skills and competencies.
- learn to engage effectively in different settings.
Topics of the masterclass
This day will provide an introduction to the research and theories of culture’s influence on various psychological processes. The main topics of discussion will include:
- Understanding culture.
- Culture and the self.
- Culture and cognition.
- Culture and emotion.
- Culture and mental health.
During our second day, we will consider the more applied side of Cultural Psychology by exploring the skills and competencies that are necessary to successfully navigate across cultures. We will discuss the following topics:
- Communicating across cultures.
- Developing global dexterity.
- Building cross-cultural competence.
This masterclass is designed for:
- professionals from various industries who work within intercultural environments and who wish to improve their effectiveness and cross-cultural skills.
- executives from various industries who lead global operations and manage diverse teams.
- HR-professionals from various industries.
Dates and fees
Dates spring: Thursday 1 & Friday 2 June 2023 Dates autumn: Thursday 7 & Friday 8 December 2023 Times: 9:00 - 17:00 Fee: €1,950*
*UvA alumni get a 10% discount. Fees are VAT-exempt.
You can request a STAP Budget for this programme. To be eligible for the subsidy of €1,000 you need a STAP registration certificate. To get this, tick the STAP Budget box in the application form above. Take into account that there are deadlines for registration and receiving the necessary STAP registration certificate.
Location: Amsterdam Business School Mode of study: Onsite programme Language: English Certification: You will receive a Certificate of Attendance from the University of Amsterdam
Born in Armenia and raised in Japan, Marianna Pogosyan has spent her life on different continents and speaking in different languages. Her interdisciplinary doctoral research investigated culture’s influence on affective mechanisms and its implications for marketing. As a cross-cultural consultant, she works with international executives and their families on all matters of psychological adaptation to a life far from home. Marianna is a lecturer in Cross-Cultural Psychology and the author of the Between Cultures blog for Psychology Today, which has so far garnered 2.4 million readers worldwide.
Lecturer and consultant Marianna Pogosyan explains what you will learn in this masterclass. How does culture shape our psychology, our minds and our perspective on the world?
Do you have questions about this or other open programmes? Please contact:
Jannice Daha LLM
Manager Executive Education
T: +31 (0)20 525 6134