Procurement auctions are a standard tool for modern procurement organisations. Some blue-chip companies already use this strategy for more than 50 percent of their total spent. Having at least a basic knowledge and understanding of procurement auctions is an asset for all managers, and a necessity for procurement and sales professionals.
In this 2-day masterclass we offer a comprehensive introduction into procurement auctions and their underlying economic and psychological dynamics. We provide an overview of the most common reverse auction formats, discuss basic game theory, and introduce formats and designs for the practical implementation of procurement auctions for your business.
What will you learn?
During this 2-day masterclass, you will:
- develop a basic understanding of game theory and auction theory.
- be prepared to make an informed decision when to use reverse auctions for your procurement project, and when not.
- learn about different forms of reverse auctions and their areas of application.
- learn to design and execute a procurement auction project in your organisation.
- learn to effectively bid in procurement auctions.
This masterclass is for everyone who:
- is or will become (indirectly) involved in procurement auctions.
- is curious about what they have to offer for supply chain optimisation and who wants to acquire the necessary fundamental skills and knowledge.
- is a member of purchasing and/or selling organisations.
The masterclass is designed for participants that have an interest in science-based learning, who want to develop fundamental skills for the design, implementation of and participation in procurement auctions and contribute to their organisations’ goals. Typical participants have job profiles related to procurement, supply-chain management, and sales, or participate in preparation for a senior management position. No prior knowledge of game theory or auction theory or their practical applications is necessary.
Dates and fees
Dates: Spring edition: 2023 dates tba
Autumn edition: 2023 dates tba
Time: 09.00 - 17:00 Fee: €1,950*
*UvA alumni receive a 10% discount. Fees are VAT exempt.
Location classroom lectures: Amsterdam Mode of study: Hybrid Programme Language: English Certification: You will receive a Certificate of Attendance from the University of Amsterdam
We offer the option to arrange transportation and accommodation. Please inquire about the options via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Sander Onderstal is Professor of Strategy and Markets and specialised in auctions, cartels, and behavioural economics. He advises ministries and corporate partners on auctions, frequencies for mobile telecommunication and real estate.
- Dr Alfred Zerres is an Associate Professor of Business Psychology and specialised in negotiation in research, teaching, and consultancy. He has a long track record as consultant and negotiation trainer for corporate clients across the globe.
- Ole Salkvist is a Senior Director and Head of Procurement Excellence at Vestas Wind A/S and responsible for the roll-out of procurement auctions for the world’s largest wind turbine manufacturer.
The masterclass Procurement Auctions offers a comprehensive introduction into procurement auctions and their underlying economic and psychological dynamics.