Business Administration covers all the functional elements of businesses and organisations. From finance, marketing, accounting and strategy to international management, business ethics, and innovation management, you will get to know each of them. Subjects will be taught by qualified lecturers with ample experience in the field and you will learn cutting edge research results in the area of business administration. You’ll also work on business cases that involve leading brands. Cooperating with real companies increases your insights into the mindsets of global business leaders.
The programme in brief
Business Administration is a new, three-year full-time Bachelor’s programme at the UvA. It gives you all the theory and hands-on learning experiences to either kick-start your career in business or to move on to an inspiring Master’s programme in a related field. This programme has been completely redesigned to easily meet the corporate and academic standards of today’s professional disciplines.
Studying Business Administration at the UvA is an unforgettable experience from which you will benefit throughout your whole personal and professional life.
Your study programme
Your first year
You’ll spend your first year mastering the basics of business. Business administration is a multidisciplinary science that draws on different disciplines for solving business problems. We’ve divided the various disciplines into four pillars: Organisation, People, Economics and Methods.
- Organisation has to do with the main goals and design of a company. This covers strategic questions like who are your customers, how to outperform the competition and how to structure an organisation.
- People has everything to do with the psychology of the workplace: motivating and leading people or organising team work efficiently.
- Economics goes into the broader scope of international and national economies and the place business has in them.
- Methods, finally, teaches you the skills a business researcher needs. Reading and understanding scientific articles and using statistics correctly, for example, is a skill. So is business research methodology. Besides those, you’ll also be trained in interviewing, academic writing and presentational skills.
Your second year
Here, we’ll delve deeper into the business functions. Courses range from Management Accounting to Marketing to Innovation Management. The course International Management for example, deals with doing business and working across cultural boundaries – a most fascinating endeavour. We’ll also teach you Information and Data Management, because the digital revolution has had a huge impact on how businesses operate today. Finally, the course Business Ethics discusses the potential dark sides of business: exploitation, environmental waste, cutthroat competition, fraud, and so forth. You end the second year by doing a consultancy project in your first real company assignment.
Your third year
Your third year is largely in your own hands. You can choose between an internship, visiting a university abroad, broadening your scope by taking a minor at another faculty, or obtaining practical business skills in our business lab courses. You will also need to choose a business field to specialise in, like Accounting or Management.
- Internship: working within a company to test your acquired skills and knowledge in the field.
- Exchange abroad: studying a semester at another university abroad will give a life-changing experience.
- Minor: a kind of mini-study programme. A minor will give you the opportunity to broaden your academic scope. It covers a variety of topics ranging from philosophy or law to Chinese culture and language.
- Business lab course:
In the second semester you’ll further zoom in on the aspect of business administration you find most fascinating: Accountancy, Finance, Management or Entrepreneurship & Digital Business. You prepare yourself for the Master’s programme of your choice, and give your bachelor a clear profile. You will spend the whole second semester on your chosen field of specialisation.
Finally, you will write your thesis in your field of specialisation. You’ll receive excellent guidance from seasoned researchers and follow a structured path towards completing your studies.
Read more about the courses of this programme in the Course Catalogue.