FinTech & Blockchain Masterclass
“Blockchain is the biggest IT-revolution since the internet.”
This two-day masterclass on FinTech & Blockchain introduces participants to digital currencies, emerging mobile payment systems and blockchains. Based on new applications of information technology, virtual currencies attempt to remove money and banking from the control of sovereign governments, and they represent one of the most disruptive innovations ever in consumer finance. The underlying distributed ledger technology has many other potential applications in diverse areas such as property registration, auditing, regulation, tax, law and financial derivatives. If you feel the need to stay up-to-date on the essentials of Blockchain and FinTech, this course will give you a clear understanding of both. The master class will be given by one of the world's foremost professors in this field of study.
During this two-day overview programme participants will:
- Acquire an overview of the history, growth, strengths, and weaknesses of digital currencies, blockchains, and distributed ledger technology;
- Learn about potential applications of distributed ledger technology to new products and services;
- Understand the regulatory challenges posed by new payment systems, and the responses of governments in the U.S., Europe, and around the world;
- Utilise existing financial benchmarks to evaluate the success of Bitcoin and other digital currencies as forms of money and as investments;
- Explore blockchain technology and its potential to provide faster, cheaper, and more secure financial transactions.
- Entrepreneurs or emerging growth companies for example in the digital currency and mobile payments fields;
- Online retailers who are considering the use of these technologies in their business;
- Investment managers developing products related to digital currencies and other cryptographic assets;
- IT-managers or IT-consultants seeking to understand the business applications of digital currency technologies;
- Managers in financial organisations who need to understand the challenges and potential that blockchains and distributed ledgers provide;
- Accountants, controllers and financial advisors who need to know the digital developments and technologies in order to be a good advisor to clients or to management;
- Legal professionals who need to understand the regulatory landscape surrounding digital currencies.
- Government professionals who need to understand macroeconomic benefits and risks
Dates & Fees
- Thursday 25 & Friday 26 April 2019
- Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance from the University of Amsterdam
- 14 PE hours for Accountants and Auditors (please inform us if you require this)
David L. Yermack is Professor of Finance and Business Transformation at New York University Stern School of Business. He serves as Chairman of the Finance Department and Director of the NYU Pollack Center for Law and Business, teaches courses in Restructuring Firms & Industries and Bitcoin & Cryptocurrencies, as well as PhD research courses in corporate governance, executive compensation, and distress and restructuring. He is guest lecturer of the MBA Big Data & Business Analytics and the Executive Master in International Finance of the Amsterdam Business School where he will teach the course FinTech: Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies.
- Contract teaching
- Short-term, open uva courses
- Language of instruction
- Starts in