What can you expect to achieve once you have completed your Master’s Finance and this track in particular? The job prospects are excellent, and each of the five tracks offers you considerable career options. You’ll also be introduced to a large, international network of fellow graduates that will stay with you for the rest of your professional career.
The Master's programme Finance, teaches you about the financial decisions of individuals and firms, the pricing of financial securities, the market microstructure of financial markets and the role of institutions and regulation in financial markets. As a graduate, you will have become a valuable commodity for many organisations: a university-trained expert in finance and economics. ABS graduates are highly regarded for both their independent minds and their strong analytical, people and presentation skills.
Graduates can be found in a wide variety of organisations, including:
- commercial organisations
- government agencies
With the broad range of skills, in-depth knowledge and international expertise this programme provides, you’ll have everything you need to start your career. Your MSc Finance also provides you with an excellent opportunity to go on to pursue doctoral studies in a thriving PhD programme taught by international experts.
- Graduates from the Corporate Finance track go on to become financial analysts, investment bankers, consultants, controllers, CFOs, treasurers, financial directors and financial experts.
- The Quantitative Finance track is perfect for future investment bankers, all-round financial or business analysts, investment advisors, portfolio managers, derivatives traders, treasurers and financial directors, risk managers, business analysts with financial institutions or fin-tech start-ups, quantitative asset managers or hedge fund managers.
- After choosing the Real Estate Finance track, you may become an asset manager, securitisation specialist or international property broker. You may also choose a career in stock analysis, acquisitions or credit management, or become an appraiser, consultant or project manager in real estate.
- From the Asset Management track, graduates move on to become portfolio managers, investment managers, risk managers, options traders and asset managers with pensions funds, hedge funds, private banking, mutual funds and regulatory institutions.
- The track in Banking and Regulation is for those who aim to work in regulatory agencies at the national and transnational levels, or in banking and consulting.
Where do ABS graduates work?
These are some positions currently held by Finance graduates:
- Consultant at Ernst & Young
- Market maker at Optiver
- Business analyst at DHL
- Decision support analyst at Royal Bank of Scotland
- Consultant at PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
- Consultant at Deloitte
- Manager trainee at Delta Lloyd
- Manager at ING Bank Financial Markets
- Financial analyst at AkzoNobel
- Business analyst at ABN AMRO Bank
At Economics & Business we like to stay in touch with our students after graduation. It’s a highly valuable, mutually beneficial relationship.
The ABS and ASE together have an active network of 10,000 alumni comprising over 60 nationalities. This network gives you the opportunity to connect with fellow former students from all EB programmes, broadening your horizon until long after your student years. Benefit from many varieties of alumni events, from back-to-class sessions to meetups, from career lectures to networking drinks. You may also like to stay in touch with UvA alumni around the globe via the International Alumni Chapters based in China, Russia, USA and the UK.